I’ve been slowly but surely getting involved in a local Boulder organization called the Men’s Leadership Alliance and it’s proven a great organization. I’ve attended two retreats, one camping, and one in a local mountain lodge, and the quality of interaction and depth of discussion far outstrips anything else I’ve done with other men.
By itself, it’s well worth checking out if you’re looking for an avenue to connect with other men (or if your partner needs some brothers to help him find his way) and the MLA also has terrific events aimed at teen boys, senior men, and father/son too.
But I’m not blogging about the MLA itself, but rather that the executive director, my good friend Keith Fairmont, is stepping down to pursue some other activities and the position has now opened up! Are you a man who finds working with other men, deepening the bonds between men, something that feeds your soul? If so, read on…
Here’s the full job description from the MLA team:
MLA Executive Director responsibilities include:
- Develops and leads implementation of the MLA Mission and Vision
- Prepares and oversees annual budget
- Updates budget quarterly
- Prepares and distributes an Annual Report
- Approves all disbursements
- Monitors all financial and accounting activities of MLA as defined by the Board Treasurer
- Leads marketing planning and production (brochures, catalog, press packages, website and email marketing)
- Works with webmaster in management of the website
- Provides institutional coordination and oversight of MLA external relations and, along with the President, Board, and facilitators, represents MLA to other organizations, the media, and the public at large, including public talks, media interviews, etc.
- Co-proposes (with Program Committee) new programs
- Communicates with facilitators & retreat centers to establish annual program
- Researches new retreat centers, negotiates contracts and reviews contracts each year
- Enters into contracts on behalf of MLA and negotiates arrangements and fees for contract courses
- Oversees development and updating of MLA policies concerning enrollment, staffing, facilitators, facilitator/MLA income splits, program registration and cancellation etc.
- Along with the Program Committee, builds, maintains, and motivates the team of MLA Facilitators
- Evaluates scholarship applications and awards within policy guidelines
- Oversees development & maintenance of MLA database, records, files, documents, and archives
- Coordinates with board on mission and implementation
- Implements policy decisions and directives of Board
- Assists the Board Chairperson in developing Board meeting agendas
- Oversees preparation of background materials for meetings
- Provides Executive Director Report at each meeting
- Helps identify potential members of Board
- Assists members of Board with implementing their activities on behalf of MLA
- Develops and leads overall fundraising plan
- Identifies and makes appeals, as appropriate, to potential donors
- Creates, maintains and fosters relationships with donors
- Develops and oversees donor database
- Oversees development and writing of grant proposals
- Oversees fundraising for scholarship program
- Coordinates with board to secure sufficient resources to implement business strategies
- Hires (in consultation with the Board)
- Supervises, builds, maintains, and motivates team
- Evaluates performance (provides feedback to staff and MLA Board)
- Oversees development of staff skills
- Proposes (to the Board) pay-scales and/or salaries of staff
- Creates and updates employee policies (with Board)
MLA-COMMUNITY MAINTENANCE AND BUILDING
- Oversees and maintains strong relationships with all members of the MLA community
NETWORK DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE (in conjunction with Board)
- Identifies and fosters relationships with existing and potential partner organizations
- Responds to high-level program and networking inquires from organizations and individuals
- Makes presentations on MLA mission and programs to the public
- Oversees annual submissions of city, state, and federal filings
- Interfaces with lawyers, accountants, etc.
Long term permanent
Competitive salary, commensurate with demonstrated performance and benefits are provided.
Please send cover letter, resume, and the names of three references with contact information to Garry SanfaÃ§on, MLA ED Search Committee, ga2ry -at- nednet.net. Please put ED Hiring with your first and last names in the subject line of your email. Or mail to MLA, 2115 Poplar Ave., Boulder, CO 80304. No phone calls please.