This is a guest post by Cara of Shutterfly.com
Greeting cards are heavily used in our culture as signs of affection and appreciation. They are given for celebrations, holidays, milestones, and “just thinking of you” moments in our lives. We use them so often and yet they can be so difficult to figure out what to write in them. Greeting cards tend to onset writer’s block in the best writers so don’t feel bad that you get stumped on writing the perfect message. It can be frustrating writing a balanced greeting card message, not sounding too sappy or too impersonal.
First step is to think about why you are giving a greeting card to this person? Why do they deserve it? (In some cases they probably don’t deserve it but it is customary- best to just burry those thoughts). The key to great greeting card messages is to think about the person more than about what to say to the person.
This helps to focus your message and should inspire ideas of what to write.
For example, if you are writing a Father’s Day card, ask yourself “why am I getting this card for my dad, and why does he deserve it?” Think about your dad and who he is. You will most likely have too many things to write. Now it’s time to narrow it down to a sweet message.
Keep in mind that less is more. You don’t need to write long messages in greeting cards- short statements are just as effective. A simple “Happy Father’s Day! You’re the coolest dad ever!” can be just as sentimental as a longer, more heartfelt statement.
However, deciding the perfect message to write really depends on the person receiving the card. Perhaps this person is not very emotional and would feel uncomfortable by a sappy card, or perhaps this person is very close to you and would appreciate more personal, loving words. This will help to confirm your message and you should now be confident to put the ink to the paper.
Quick, No Think Greeting Card Messages for Upcoming Father’s Day:
- Dad, you are my hero and my role model. Happy Father’s Day!
- Thanks for acting like a kid when I was a kid, acting like a friend when I needed a friend, and acting like a parent when I needed one. You have played many roles for me. Happy Fathers Day.
- Dad, I can’t imagine what life would have been like growing up without you. Thank you for giving me everything I needed and a lot more. Happy Father’s Day!
- Daddy, thank you for doing fun things with me. I love you.
- Happy Father’s Day! You have been a great role model, and I look up to you and think of you when I need to make a tough decision. Thanks for being the best dad I could ask for.
- Dad you’re the best! Happy Father’s Day.
Humorous Father’s Day Card Messages:
- You used to let me win when we played games because I was little. Don’t expect me to let you win just because you are getting old! Happy Father’s Day.
- Has anyone ever made you realize how much of your life you gave up just to raise a kid? Sounds like dads are pretty dumb to me. Happy Father’s Day!
- Dad, my therapist told me most of my problems come from how you treated me when I was a kid. So I took off my belt and spanked her for disrespecting an authority figure.
- Dad, the scariest time in my childhood was when mom would say, “Wait until your father comes home.” The few hours of worry were definitely worse than your punishment.
(Funny Father’s Day messages inspired by a similar Hub page)
Guest post by Cara of Shutterfly.